Sunday, June 22, 2008

THE BOOK EXCHANGE (Entry 2 of 3)

Status: On vacation till the end of the month due to a lot going on.

Doing: Writing on this blog; answering e-mails; working out, and well...you know the rest! :0)

Watching: Knight Rider on RTN.

Listening to: Taped music from C-89.5 (Seattle)

Reading: Kushiel's Scion. Page 404.

STAR TREK-THE NEXT GENERATION: WAR DRUMS. Page 69.

STAR TREK-NEW EARTH: BOOK 1: WAGON TRAIN TO THE STARS. Page 35.

TOPIC: INDEPENDENT BOOK STORE TRIALS

One of the things that I want to explore with The Starchild's release is to approach local and indi-run bookstores--instead of hitting one dead-end after another with the major chains.

Stores like Borders and B. Daltons which have pretty much popped up across the country like daisies.

Earlier this year, I was fortunate enough to run into a very nice woman named Shelly DeWitt. What struck me about her was the fact that she was open-minded and easy going, and we had a lot to talk about over the course of the past few months or so.

Including our love of books.

Her aspiration was to open a small book store where she lived--and I saw a prime opportunity to try my luck with her in regards to my novel, The Starchild. (When it becomes available in a few years.)

Of course, we are both in uncharted territories here. Her business revolves around the idea of exchanging books or buying them based on price; while building up a saleable account with her store at the same time. (Click the link at the bottom of this page under "Sky's List Links"--for further details.)

My aims are to use her bookstore as a jump off point (amongst others) for my book--to see what kind of positive reaction I can get from my target audience and go from there.

So when Shelly recently e-mailed me, I found out that she had just opened her store this past month. And like myself, she's looking for potential customers and some good karma to come down her way.

So I thought I would give people whom visit this site of mine a heads up on her modest little enterprise--and see if anyone would be interested in exchanging a book or two in the process. (Pretty cool idea, huh?)

Because you never know what you might come across. Or read. :0)

So check her place out and spread the word if you can. We both would appreciate it!

Sky