Friday, June 6, 2008

STRUGGLING WRITER HELPS COMPLETE STRANGER.

Status: On vacation.

Doing: Writing on this blog; answering e-mails; working out, and well...you know the rest! :0)

Watching: TV still offline.

Listening to: "Go Zombie"; "Creepy Crawler" by Zombie Girl

Reading: Kushiel's Scion. Page 288.

STAR TREK: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD-BOOK 1. Page 206.

TOPIC: POST OFFICE TRIP HAS A NICE ENDING FOR ONE GUY

With my hearing coming up on the 30th, I spent all day yesterday running around and getting copies of my medical records released for the ALJ--and keeping an eye doctor's appointment on time.

I also made a pit stop at the local post office too. It was there that I caught sight of some poor schmuck on the sidewalk with one of those cardboard signs announcing to the world how broke, homeless, and hungry he is.

Knowing the current state of the economy has everyone frazzled, I silently pitied the guy as I walked by to get that important errand done.

Since I wasn't carrying nothing but my debit card on me at the time--I thought about how much money I had on me. It wasn't much. I have so little after paying my rent (since I've been subsisting off of $537 for the last 8 months now)--that every dollar I have left to me is precious.

But seeing this guy the way he is...?

What the hell, right? You only live once. :0)

I knew from personal experience what being homeless is like. I've spent 14 months on the street during the mid-90s. It was no picnic, I can tell you that much.

So I went into the post office to get my business done and (hoped) got out; thinking that the guy would be there when I left.

He was.

So I crossed the street and headed up to the 7-11 to see what I could get him.

Going in, I thought: "Sandwich, apple, a small pie, and some water." (Junkfood and a soda will not help.)

The prices for everything was pretty steep. And even though I had other priorities which needed attending, I figured $8 wouldn't kill me much. (I found out today that I had more money left over on my card than I originally calculated! Am I as bad as Bush is, or what? lol)

So I paid for the food and left--hoping the guy would be there when I returned.

He was, but he was in the process of packing up and leaving.

As he came towards me, I handed him the plastic bag--asking: "Got a minute?"

He said sure, and that's when I handed it to him. The bag with the sandwich, apple, pie, and bottled water.

He said, "Thanks. It's been really tough."

I nodded in complete understanding. "Don't I know it." (Because in a few months, my wife and I will most likely be sharing in his fate--being homeless after so long.)

But I left with a good feeling in my heart. I did something for someone--even though I didn't have much.

Or the fact that I didn't know him at all.

Just some poor guy needing some compassion and caring from someone.

Sky