Thursday, October 4, 2007

WAKING UP.

Status: Currently writing on Zombie Nation: Outbreak Zero--Chapter 10.

Doing: Writing this blog; surfing the net; answering e-mails

Watching: KIRO 7 News; CBS Evening News

Listening to: "Singular" by Mindless Faith

Reading: Resistance by J.M. Dillard (ST-TNG) (On page 225 finally!)

TOPIC: WRITE HOW YOU WANT, PUBLISH HOWEVER YOU WANT TO

The current argument that I've been getting is: "You're not a real author until you're traditionally published."

And it's lame. What we (writers) are being told is that no one will take us seriously enough unless we're taken in by Random House, Bantam, or Tor Books.

And even then, people still don't take us seriously enough!

Getting traditionally published doesn't mean you gain instant respect and accolades from your peers.

In many respects, you're still an unknown author and your chances of making it are pretty small.

But these prideful writers who are pushing people like you and me to become traditionally published are still ignorant of the facts and the odds behind such an endeavor.

Personally, I would love to be traditionally published. Y'know?

To see my book on the shelves so prominently.

But things are tight right now in the marketplace and not many agents or publishers are taking on new authors. The reason behind it is simply this: Money and the bottom line.

The publishers are facing a problem with people not reading enough books these days. The internet and online reading has gained traction and is tearing many traditional readers away from the paperback variety.

Then you have costumers shopping from their homes--on their computers (just as the Jetsons predicted would happen decades ago), and you have even less reason for people to go shopping at their once favorite reading haunts.

To top that off, the last Harry Potter novel did little to save Barnes and Noble, and Borders bottom line in the last quarter--as predicted. Adding severely limited shelf space, the rising costs of books, and you have a real nightmare for the publishers.

And even still, I am being told to traditionally publish. To keep going.

But I've already done that.

I spent 8 long years pushing myself to become traditionally published. I sent out dozens and dozens of query letters; all rejected out of hand.

The reason? None of the agents or publishers took fiction.

But not their brand of fiction. Just mine.

What I write isn't what they want.

So where does that leave me?

Well, ever since I announced my intentions that I was going to self-publish my books under my own imprint, there has been (naturally) some resistance to the idea. It isn't the imprint part that's got some people up in arms, but the self-publishing part.

Many people mistaken that for vanity-press, and so they think that's what I'm doing.

But the irritating part is, is that this isn't what I am doing.

Despite me telling them that this isn't vanity-press, I'm still getting hammered for my choices in publishing or even writing my books how I want.

They still want me to traditionally publish. How many times will I have to say, "No!"?--before they get it through their heads???

I am not interested in the maintream any longer! I have done my bit for king and country--and I am not the least bit inclined to continue spending the rest of my life trying to get into an establishment that is more based on chance than it is on reality.

Please do me the courtesy of allowing me to follow my dreams however I wish., okay? And support me because I am an author just looking to share his numerous works with fellow readers.

I don't need adulation, approval, a ton of money, or an overpowering fan base to know that what I write is good enough for the big guns.

I just want to write what I would like to see read.

Even if the mainstream industry doesn't.

If you like my books, then tell me. But don't ask me to hold back on my imagination.

That's not what an author should do in order to become successful in his or her endeavors.