Tuesday, September 4, 2007

8:30 PM...

Status: On vacation

Doing: Writing this blog; finished 150 pushups; and watching the cats beat on each other for leftover canned cat food. (shrugs)

Watching: Something on PBS regarding the prison break from one of Germany's infamous prison camps of the second world war. (THE GREAT ESCAPE's been on before. It's a good documentary.)

Listening to: "Slave" by Gary Numan; Falling Stars by Haroon Piracha; and "Try" by Ian Van Dahl.

State of Office: Worse than New Orleans is at the moment; expect a cleanup on Aisle 4 later tonight.

TOPIC: THE VAMPIRESS HUNTER

One of my many book projects that I first completed in 2001--this is a remake of my first attempt at erotic romance involving one wayward vampiress hunter and a San Francisco detective.

The original involved a man named Andrew Scott, but I changed the detective to be a woman this time around by the name of Amanda Scott: A freelance detective whom has a special esper-type ability. And specializes in the paranormal.

As I stated in my other Yahoo! 360 blog, I was pretty burnt out over the "guy meets girl; guy gets girl"-theme.

I just wanted something different for a change with this book.

A different take on romance, the vampire lore, and such. So I took another approach with the novel and wrote it in the first person perspective:

I suppose that my crime of existence was the fact that I was born so very, very poor.

My family–they…they didn’t have very much to sustain either myself nor my sister, Ana , or my brother Petre.

But my mother and father were a proud people–born of excellent Romanian stock from my beloved nation–and descended from the tribal Slavs; immigrating from what was Old East Europe at the time.

So the land upon which we were born and bred upon–we were its masters as well as its loyal servant.

And me?

I bore my mother’s good looks as well–myself being born fair and gamine as any farmer’s daughter should be. Tall in stature, strong and limber in the body, but gentle and caring in the heart and soul.

Like my mom and my sister, I toiled the soil of my beloved homeland–alongside with my family–enjoying every blessed moment, every sacred second which passed by my youthful eyes.

Of course, this the opening to the book; a prologue if you will. But it only tells a little bit of my main heroine's tale--that of Maria Elena Dumitra.

Oddly enough, she still goes by her birth name while attending Berkley University. No one has sought to question her--and those that did, were told of a tale of loss and pain.

But it was just a ruse to cover the truth. No one questioned her after that.

What is different about this vampire novel is the fact that Maria likes both blood and chocolate:

I stared into the case even more, my eyes roving around for potential prey. Though I wouldn’t find the kind I naturally enjoyed from time to time, this one was of a kind that only satiate the beast within.

“Um…” I faltered for a second. “All of them?”

The old man smiled. “So you must be a student, then, huh? Berkley?”

“Yes…”

“Good school. I graduated there back in the 90s. When do you graduate?”

“Two more years.” I said automatically, before finding what I wanted. An enriched, 96% cacao, strawberry-infused bar of the darkest chocolate I saw in quite some time.

Did I forget to mention a couple of important things here? I was a student at Berkley, but I was also hopelessly addicted to chocolate.

Not just the lattes I drank, but the bars which I enjoyed with sweet relish.

So there you have it.

Something new and exciting about my upcoming novel, The Vampiress Hunter.

I only have about 4 chapters completed so far, but it's not going to be finished for a couple more years--as I am in no hurry to complete this novel.

But by the time The Starchild is published in 2009, people will know that I have more than one book--in more than one genre--waiting for them in the wings.