Friday, September 21, 2007

FRIDAY NIGHT

Status: Currently writing on The Price of Freedom; Zombie Nation: Outbreak Zero

Doing: Writing this blog; surfing the net; answering e-mails

Watching: Q13 News

Listening to: "Hunger" by Spectre General; "Humans Being" by Van Halen; "Share This Poison" by Razed in Black

Reading: Resistance by J.M. Dillard (ST-TNG)


TOPIC: ZOMBIE NATION: OUTBREAK ZERO UPDATE

Chapter 1 has 14 pages done so far

Chapter 2 has 17 pages done so far

Chapter 3 has 12 pages done so far--and things are a real mess for Emily Rose Jordan.

Because she's trapped alone with her alcoholic mother--she had no recourse but to dump her mom's booze down the sink and toss the bulk of the cans in the recycling bin.

But when her mom found out about it, she went on the rampage--and pretty much bitchslapped her daughter out of a sound sleep. But Emily didn't stay dazed for long and managed to subdue her mother by accidentally spraining her wrist in the process.

After some choice words from her mother (okay--so there were more than a few choice words), Emily confronted her mother over who she was:

You wanted me to train and become better able to defend myself–because of what happened with Tiffany. Remember? You held me in my arms after that serial rapist was caught by the police and sentenced to 47 years in jail for first-degree rape and other outstanding charges–including those from four warrants in five other states.

“You told me: ‘Never again, sweetie. I want you to know that. I wasn’t able to do anything to protect both you and your sister.’ ” I looked at her–seeing the shock registering on her face.

“I didn’t think you would’ve remembered that. I thought you were too traumatized by that incident. Even the state psychologists and school councilors said you wouldn’t remember much of that terrible day.” She said.

I looked away from her and then down at the floor.

It took me awhile to find my voice. And my strength of will.

“I remember mom, because I wanted something by which to keep me focused and determined when you and dad enrolled me in those defense classes over in Port Angeles. I didn’t want to forget.” I said with a shaky voice filled with rage and raw anger.

“Tiffany was badly affected by that and she never had the chance at romance, mother. Never had a chance for a normal life or a halfway decent relationship with any boy at school. Because that bastard stole something more precious than a teenage girl’s virginity: Her fucking innocence.

I stood up then and smoothed out the wrinkles in my pants and dusted myself off. My face still stung like hell, but I wasn’t about to let a little annoyance like a bruise get the best of me.

Even if it was delivered by my own mother.

I looked at the clock and found that the digital hands had read 9:16 in the morning. I went to bed right after I finished with some business in the kitchen–right before I dumped a fresh bag of beer cans into the recycle bin for the trash guys to come and collect.

I couldn’t even remember falling asleep after my head hit the pillow. But I knew that my mom was going to be pissed off more than a mother hen when she woke up from her siesta and found that her cherished stash of booze was gone from the fridge’s cold caress.

“I became what you wanted me to be mom: A cold and distant fighter. Someone who wasn’t going to back down from a situation like the one last year in our own house. And I gave those jerks what they deserved. Every second of it. I didn’t shrink from my duties as the oldest member of the house–seeing how Chuck had gone over to his friend’s house for the night and Tiff was still away at Florida State.” I said tightly–my voice trembling a little. “I embraced them–as any good daughter would.”

But her mom still wasn't thrilled with what happened with her beer--but she didn't press her on the subject matter afterwards.

If you're still wondering when I'm going to get to the flesh-eating zombie part--be patient. This novel hasn't hit its full stride yet.

I still have a lot of work to do on the book.

Yesterday, I found some updated articles on the meteorite hit in Peru and found that the hole caused by the impact was of pretty good-size.

So more material for me to use. :0)