Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A $500 LESSON

Status: Packing, packing, and more packing.

Watching: The rain come down in buckets.

Listening to: "Nevermeant-Version 2"--By Razed in Black

Reading: Kushiel's Scion. Page 555.

TOPIC: CREDIT CHECK UPDATE

Some things should've been made more clearer to me when I first started out. But I guess when you live life as destitute as mine--some things tend to slip.

Our credit check came back rejected--as you all know--and yesterday, we got a letter explaining why. Some smaller outstanding collection debts is what dinged the two of us--not our student loan defaults.

Together, we owe about $500--which is preventing us from acquiring a new place to live. Of course, my understanding of things was: Bad credit affects your ability to purchase a home, buy a car, or a boat.

No one said anything about renting an apartment. It's odd is how in the past my brothers were still able to get into a place when they had bad credit--before they were married--but I strongly suspect that they didn't have tightening credit standards to deal with in the face of a shrinking market and continued fall out from the foreclosure market and credit crunch.

I believe that this is what contributed to our recent slew of rejections as well. But it's a little odd how we are getting dinged when the amount we owe is less than $1,000--and we have zero credit card debt. (The only one thing I am eternally grateful for with my limited income: Low income=zero credit cards.)

Like I said earlier, it most likely has to do with everyone tightening their credit standards--to also ensnare poor people like myself with bad credit; even though what I have isn't considered 'absolute critical' or 'high priority' requirements.

The ironic thing was, is that we were trying to get a place that accepts people with low income.

Never in a million years did I think I would get nailed on this front--seeing how we still have perfect rental history.

Just another lesson in life I'll have to take care of in the coming months--before next year's attempt is made once more. Hopefully then, things will have changed for the better. (And we're still hoping we can slide into a one-bedroom apartment. My FIL lost his job--which was paying the bills at my mother-in-law's place; and right now...? Neither my in-laws are very happy. My SIL is sleeping on their couch and my BIL has been living there for as long as I can recall--since getting married in 2002. So...the plan on staying with my inlaws for a few months after September is effectively scratched off.)

However, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to deal with this until after my first book was published. With the extra money, I was planning on wiping the slate clean.

The idea was this: I would stay where I was until 2012--by getting The Starchild published--build up my reserves of added income from my sales, pay off what little debt I have and our two student loans, and then move to Montana.

Least...that was the plan. (lol)

Of course, I wasn't expecting to move prematurely either. Or be forced to put off publishing the book until a latter date. (Which is still up in the air. However, I still want people to vote. This will give me an idea on how much people will be willing to pay for my novel--given how I'm not that greedy. But I figure...since I'm putting almost 20 years into this book, I'm entitled to a little leeway here. (I know, I know...I'm insane for taking this long with The Starchild. :0) ) )

Unfortunately, I couldn't do any of this with what I'm playing with now for income. Not when there is so much to do and so little time left to accomplish it in.

I had to pick my battles and fight what I could--and leave the rest to fate; while slowly building towards a better future for myself and my wife.

That's all I had left for me: My books. My happy little future for two people and a bunch of furry children.

Not much to ask for--is it?

Sky

(Final edit: 2:31 AM. August 21st, 2008.)