Friday, July 25, 2008

RECONSTRUCTION BLUES

Status: Rewriting the last six chapters to Starchild Duel. (Some kinks)

Doing: Writing on this blog; answering e-mails; working out, and well...you know the rest! :0)

Watching: Nothing at the moment.

Listening to: Taped music.

Reading: Kushiel's Scion. Page 424.

TOPIC: THE TRADITION CONTINUES. :0)

I'm in the middle of reconstructing a part of my Starchild Duel novel (taking a minor break from A Girl Named Mystery) and fighting with a medical supply store over my prescription for compression stockings.

On the book front, it seems as though I might've goobered just a bit on a couple of the story elements and made total hash browns of the continuity of the storyline up to this point--but like I've indicated in the past--? The same thing happened with The Starchild--where I had to go and rip out 200 pages and start over from scratch.

I did some rewriting and rewiring of a few chapters; glued some things together and rearranging other aspects of the last 30 pages today.

Everything reads the way it should--from my perspective--but I had the order all wrong it turns out.

So instead of some major writing today and yesterday, I spent the last couple of days reworking everything around.

I still have some things to iron out and I redid the title from "Dark Despair" to "Catch the Flag". (Anyone who is familiar with this term will know what I mean when they read this section of the book. What it boils down is that the Praetorial Guard is on full alert after the near-destruction of Shark's Bay; and everyone involved: Talia and Isis McGowan, Bayen--plus Nemesis--are on everyone's shit list for certain.

The last 5 years has given the PG some impressive countermeasures to deal with both the Starchild and Nemesis--hence the section title.)

However, this looks like it will be something of a tradition with each book following the last. lol

But this "glitch" happened around 272,000 words--and so I also deep-sixed the last 30,000 as well. I was hovering around 300,000 words, but the last 30K involving the final battle will have to be reworked again.

All because of the new introduction of Talia McGowan. Her enhanced presence threw the third draft book into a whole new arena--so I've been spending the last 3 years or so working on the improved upgrades to the book.

But regardless of what people say about not writing sequels, this one's definitely going to just as good--if not better than the first.

Not because I'm trying to outdo The Starchild, but because this one was pre-planned six to eight years ago to be a royal cat fight that would make people like Danica Patrick jealous. :0P

My compression stockings issue cemented around my medical insurance. Apparently, having a monthly COUPON doesn't work with this one medical store and they expected me to have a card instead.

As I told the medical receptionist: "When they were talking about issuing everyone a card, they didn't issue me mine--three years ago. The way it went was, 'wait a couple more weeks' and see if you get yours. Well, it didn't turn out that way. 2 weeks became 2 more weeks, and then a month, then 2 months, and finally, the response I got was: 'Just keep using your coupon for the time being.' "

She then said: "Well, we can't use it because it'll just be a denial of service. We have to have a card to know who to bill."

I'm standing there thinking, "Didn't she just hear a WORD of what I just told her?"

When I tried to explain it to her again, she gave me the same line and added, "Until you find yours or get one--we can't help you."

Oooh yes...I just wanted to wring this woman's neck for being completely TONE-DEAF to what I was saying! lmao

Fortunately, my wife found me a black pair of stockings that was given to us 2 years ago.

These things are really tight--but an extra pair never hurts. :0)

I got a call yesterday--while I was out; that the problem was fixed and I could go back and get my stockings.

But I'm probably going to wait till Monday, because I have so much to do today. April's still nagging me about getting my glasses.

Sky